Weight room within the SRC[Jackson Harley]
Saturday, October 20, 2012
Annotation 3
When it comes to the weight room there is absolutely no team environment that is evident at all. Every where with in the weight room one can observe people lifting all on their own. This is an awkward setting especially for someone is who used to the structured lifting environment that they were used to with a team. Lifting with a team everything was scheduled out on what we were supposed to do as a team and what we were supposed to do on out own. But when it comes to lifting on your own outside of the team atmosphere, as May and Asken state is their book Sport Psychology, "players that are so accustomed to a team environment can feel isolated outside the game" (May Asken 250). It seems like such a foreign place when you go there and lift and everyone in there is doing their own thing it is just different. When you walk in you pretty much have to stake your spot because the weight room is always busy and if you do not stake your claim then someone else will. Which is completely different to the system that I was used to where you walk in and everyone had their stations and no one took your place. The only way that a team atmosphere can be captured in the weight room is by going their daily with the same people and do the same workouts together, and designating certain lifts to certain days like teams do. That is what I feel like is missing when I go to the weight room the closeness that was present in other weight rooms that I have been apart of and what I miss. I believe that May and Asken really hit is the nail on the head when they said that former athletes feel isolated because it is completely true. Sports took up a lot of time and now with all the free time some do not know how to kill it and it makes us feel isolated from the normal flow of things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment